The TGA is an art group with a long local connection. It was originally formed in 1953 by Tavistock Grammar School Art Mistress, Norna Beadle, and Margery Nicol, Senior Mistress at the school. They were quickly joined by other local artists - Geoffrey Clark, Victor Gregory, Peter Holwill, Micky Kingdon, Dorothy Ward and Anne Spooner. The group then expanded by accepting Margery Kelly, Lena Nicol, Helen Rowett and Claire Ward as new members.
Since those early days, the group has gone from strength to strength. Membership currently stands at 73 members, with between 15 and 20 regular attendees at the monthly meetings. From the original weekly meetings, the group moved to monthly sessions in 2010. This move enabled the group to engage higher quality speakers, moving the focus from frequency to quality.
The early exhibitions were held in the Council Chamber and Grenofen Barn. Since 1964, an annual exhibition has been held in the Town Hall, which is a wonderful space to display art works. Additional exhibitions have continued to be held in a variety of venues in the surrounding area.
In 2012, we held our successful 57th Annual Exhibition. The Town Hall is a remarkable venue and attracts a lot of visitors to the town. There is good natural light from the large windows along each side of the main hall. All members are able to submit original work for display, subject to selection by the exhibition committee. Framed work is hung throughout the hall, with a browser containing additional unframed original art work.
Related crafts made by the members are also on sale - in the form of greeting cards, illustrated books, hand decorated tiles, as well as prints of original work. In 2012, people viewed the work on display and the group sold 32 original art works, plus numerous cards and prints.